Everything about Miami International Airport
If you find yourself at Miami International Airport (MIA), here is the essential information you need to know.
Miami International Airport, commonly known as MIA and historically referred to as Wilcox Field, serves as a crucial transportation hub for the greater Miami metropolitan area. Located a mere 8 miles northwest of Downtown Miami in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, MIA enjoys excellent connectivity to neighboring communities such as Miami Springs, Virginia Gardens, Hialeah, Doral, and Fontainebleau, thanks to its strategic location.
Spanning a vast 3,300 acres, MIA stands as South Florida’s primary gateway for extensive international air travel, serving as a bustling hub for both passenger and cargo flights. It connects cities across the Americas, Europe, Africa, and Asia, and is notably the largest gateway linking the United States with Latin America and the Caribbean, firmly establishing itself as a premier airline hub.
For a seamless experience at this bustling airport, make use of Miami Airport maps and this user-friendly guide to help you maximize your time while at MIA.
Miami International Airport has three terminals, each with its own unique functions and air operations:
- Northern Terminal (Blue) – Concourse D: This terminal is exclusively dedicated to American Airlines and features three Admirals Clubs and one Flagship Lounge operated by the airline. It serves as a central hub for American Airlines’ domestic and international flights.
- Central Terminal (Yellow): The Central Terminal includes Concourses E, F, and G. Mainly, Concourse E is dedicated to catering to American Airlines and its Oneworld partner airlines, in addition to a few Caribbean and Latin American carriers. Notably, Concourse E has a satellite terminal with the capacity to accommodate an Airbus A380.
- Southern Terminal (Red): The South Terminal comprises Concourses H and J, serving as the primary international terminal for non-Oneworld carriers. Concourse H is commonly used by Delta Air Lines and non-Oneworld international carriers, managing narrowbody and some widebody flights, particularly from Central and northern South America. Concourse J functions as the primary terminal for most non-Oneworld international carriers operating widebody aircraft and serves as a key hub for non-Oneworld transcontinental flights.
Miami International Airport boasts 131 gates distributed among these terminals, catering to a diverse array of domestic and international airlines. For specific details about the airlines operating at the airport, please refer to the guide’s conclusion.
Airlines at Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Aeroflot (international arrivals only)
- American Airlines
- Aruba Airlines (international arrivals only)
- Avior Airlines (international arrivals only)
- BOA (international arrivals only)
- British Airways (ticketing only)
- Cayman Airways (international arrivals only)
- Eastern Airlines (international arrivals only)
- Finnair (international departures only)
- Flair Air (international arrivals only)
- Interjet (international arrivals only)
- Miami Air (international arrivals only)
- Royal Air Maroc (international arrivals only)
- Sun Country (international arrivals only)
- Sunwing (international arrivals only)
- Surinam Airways (international arrivals only)
- Swift Air (international arrivals only)
- TUIFly (international arrivals only)
- Volaris (international arrivals only)
- World Atlantic (international arrivals only)
- Aer Lingus
- Air France
- Aruba Airlines
- Avior Airlines
- British Airways
- Cayman Airways
- Flair Air
- Frontier Airlines
- GOL (international arrivals only)
- LOT Polish Airlines
- Miami Air
- Norwegian Air
- Qatar Airways
- Royal Air Maroc
- Sun Country
- Surinam Airways
- Swift Air
- TAP Air Portugal
- United Airlines
- World Atlantic
- Xi Airways
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- Air Canada
- Air Europa
- Austrian Airlines
- Bahamasair (ticketing only)
- Caribbean Airlines
- COPA Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- El A
- LATAM Airlines
- Miami Air (ticketing only)
- Turkish Airlines
- United Airlines (international departures only)
- Virgin Atlantic
Parking at Miami International Airport
Miami International Airport offers a range of parking options to cater to the diverse needs of travelers:
1. Dolphin Garage:
- Services Concourses D and E.
- Perfect for passengers who are flying with American Airlines, British Airways, JetBlue, and Qatar Airways.
2. Flamingo Garage:
- Services Concourses E – J.
- Suggested for travelers on flights with any other airline.
Please be aware that vehicles parked in the garage have a maximum stay of 45 days unless otherwise indicated as “no overnight parking.” After 45 days, vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense. Tall vehicles have the option to use the “High-Vehicle” surface lot parking, which is situated next to the East side of the Dolphin (North) Garage.
For the ultimate convenience and proximity to your departure gate, Valet Parking is available at MIA. Just drive up, and you’re on your path to your destination. Valet parking is conveniently located at the Departures/2nd level of the Dolphin and Flamingo Garages.
1. Valet Parking Rates:
- 0 – 3 hours (first day only) – $22.00
- 3 – 24 hours – $35.00
- Maximum Daily Rate – $35.00
Please note that all vehicles parked in valet are limited to a maximum length of stay of 20 days.
2. Economy Park & Ride
For travelers seeking the most cost-effective parking option at MIA, the Economy Park & Ride Lot is an excellent choice. This lot is located at 1350 N.W. 45th Avenue and is accessible from both LeJeune Road and Perimeter Road. Passengers can conveniently access the main terminal by utilizing a free shuttle service that operates every 15 minutes. Shuttle service pick-up and drop-off locations can be found on MIA’s departures level, across from doors 3, 11, and 26.
3. Economy Park & Ride Lot Rate:
- Daily Rate – $12.00
- Accessible Parking
Vehicles with disabled and stroller permits have access to designated accessible parking areas on the 3rd level and ground level of all garages.
4. Cell Phone Waiting Lot
MIA provides a Cell Phone Waiting Lot with 60 complimentary spots for private, non-commercial vehicles. This parking area is specifically intended for those awaiting the arrival of passengers at the airport. It is conveniently situated just off LeJeune Road and NW 31 Street, accessible from LeJeune Road in both northbound and southbound directions.
5. Private Airport Transfer
Finding your way through airport parking, particularly at bustling airports such as MIA, can be a source of inconvenience. However, there is a convenient alternative. Consider booking a Mundi Limos chauffeured ride to and from the airport. With a professional chauffeur at the helm, you can bypass the parking search, save time, and enjoy a stress-free journey.
Miami Airport Lounges
Relaxation and comfort await premium and elite travelers in the lounges of Miami International Airport, located in each terminal.
1. American Airlines Flagship Lounge:
A haven for first-class and business-class passengers, as well as Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members, and American Platinum club members on qualifying flights. Spanning 29,000 square feet, it offers ample seating, stunning tarmac views, and abundant natural light. The Flagship First Dining area offers table service and a refined menu. The rest of the lounge features a variety of hot and cold food options, premium Champagne, a build-your-own Bloody Mary bar, and espresso machines. During the afternoons, a live chef prepares made-to-order arepas. The lounge also includes spacious shower suites and daybeds for relaxation.
2. American Airlines Admirals Club:
Located in Concourse D, this lounge provides a peaceful escape from the airport’s hustle and bustle. It offers modern design, comfortable seating, complimentary Wi-Fi, power outlets, and a selection of snacks and beverages. For those seeking more, there’s a bar serving premium drinks and complimentary snacks and light bites. Access is open to Admirals Club members, non-Advantage Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members, and qualifying First and Business class customers with same-day tickets. One-day passes are available for purchase based on lounge capacity.
2. American Express Centurion Lounge:
Exclusive access for American Express Platinum or Centurion cardholders, along with up to two guests. Other American Express cardholders can pay a fee for entry. The lounge offers complimentary spa treatments, a well-stocked salad bar, hearty hot dishes, and impressive views.
1. Military Hospitality Lounge:
Available to active duty and retired U.S. and Allied military members and their families upon presentation of military ID and same-day tickets. The lounge offers snacks, soft drinks, a business center, and a family lounge. You can also book meeting rooms for your use.
2. Turkish Airlines Lounge:
Operated by Turkish Airlines, this lounge provides a serene space with amenities like shower facilities, complimentary Wi-Fi, a selection of snacks and beverages, and Turkish cuisine. Star Alliance Gold members flying on a Star Alliance carrier can enjoy lounge privileges. It’s also accessible to Priority Pass members.
1. Delta Sky Club:
Recently renovated, this club is open to Delta premium passengers and most partner airline travelers. The lounge staff provides attentive service, and there is a full-service bar with basic snacks. Shower facilities are available for refreshing between flights.
2. LATAM VIP Lounge:
LATAM premium passengers and select Priority Pass members can access this lounge, offering a variety of food choices, Champagne, and shower facilities. Conference room reservations are available for pre-flight meetings.
3. Avianca Sala VIP:
Catering to Avianca premium passengers, Priority Pass members, and select elite credit cardholders, this lounge features a self-service bar and a range of hot and cold food options.
Miami Airport Accommodations
When it comes to lodging options near Miami International Airport, you have a variety of choices, including a hotel right within the airport and other four-star options in close proximity.
1. Miami International Airport Hotel
Location: Miami International Airport, Concourse E, 2nd Floor
Convenience meets comfort at the Miami International Airport Hotel, situated in Concourse E. With a multilingual staff to assist international visitors, guests can experience a true sense of hospitality. You’ll be just steps away from your terminal, eliminating the need for lengthy commutes or transportation hassles. The hotel offers comfortable rooms, modern amenities, and a range of dining options, making it an excellent choice for both business and leisure travelers aiming to maximize their time at the airport or explore the vibrant city of Miami.
2. Hilton Miami Airport Blue Lagoon
Location: 5101 Waterford District Dr, Miami
Featuring a serene location along the shores of the Blue Lagoon, the Hilton Miami Airport is a tranquil oasis just moments from the airport. With its contemporary design and lush tropical surroundings, it provides a slice of paradise for travelers. The hotel’s spacious rooms offer picturesque views of the lagoon, and the restaurant serves Mediterranean-inspired cuisine that adds a delightful culinary touch to your stay. Whether you’re taking a dip in the sparkling pool or unwinding by the waterfront as the sun sets over the lagoon, each stay promises to be a memorable experience.
3. Embassy Suites by Hilton Miami International Airport
Location: 3974 NW S River Dr, Miami
Nestled near Miami International Airport, the Embassy Suites by Hilton is a haven of comfort and style. Its all-suite accommodations offer plenty of space, catering to both business and leisure travelers. The lush atrium of the hotel serves as an inviting oasis where guests can enjoy a complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast and evening receptions. With easy airport access and a range of amenities, it seamlessly combines convenience and comfort, ensuring an enjoyable stay.
4. Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
Location: 3900 NW 21st St, Miami
The Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel is more than just a place to rest; it’s a hub of connectivity and productivity. This contemporary hotel boasts extensive meeting and event facilities, making it an ideal choice for business travelers. But it’s not all business here; guests can unwind in the tropical gardens, take a dip in the pool, or savor exquisite cuisine at the on-site restaurant. With its modern design and an array of amenities, this Sheraton is where work seamlessly transitions into relaxation.
5. Hyatt House Miami Airport
Location: 5710 Waterford District Dr, Miami
The Hyatt House Miami Airport embodies the essence of a “home away from home.” These spacious suites are designed for extended stays, offering fully equipped kitchens and cozy living areas. The hotel’s welcoming atmosphere extends to its outdoor pool, perfect for basking in the Florida sun, and its 24-hour fitness center to keep you active while on the go.
Miami Airport Shopping Experience
Miami International Airport offers a diverse shopping experience across its terminals, ensuring you can find everything you need, from fashionable clothing to last-minute flight essentials.
In the largest terminal, the North Terminal, you’ll discover a wide array of top clothing choices. Brands like Penguin, Montblanc, Johnston & Murphy, and more await fashion-savvy travelers. If you’re in the mood for sunglasses and chic sports gear, head to The Shoppes at Ocean Drive. Don’t miss the chance to explore the Romero Britto art gallery for a dose of culture. For those looking to adorn themselves with jewelry, consider a visit to Taxco Sterling or Starfire Design.
Last-minute flight necessities can be conveniently picked up at Air Essentials, while bookworms will find their fix at BookLink, Miami News Now, NewsLink, or Hudson News. And if you’ve promised to bring back some premium cigars, a stop at Cuban Crafters MIA is a must.
While shopping options are somewhat limited in the Central Terminal, you can still prepare for your journey to the Florida Keys by snagging stylish sunglasses at Sunglass Hut. For fun and trendy accessories, explore Bead Factory or Bijoux Terner. If you’re looking to upgrade your electronics before your flight, Tech on the Go has you covered.
The South Terminal, home to various international airlines, offers excellent duty-free shopping opportunities, particularly if you’re traveling to your home country. Explore luxury brands like Coach, Michael Kors, Desigual, and Hugo Boss. Fine jewelry enthusiasts can’t miss a visit to Fire Diamonds CZ. Traditional Duty Free Americas shops are also available, providing an array of luxury liquor, fragrances, beauty products, tobacco, and more.
Ensure you have all your toiletries and cosmetics by shopping at MAC or Navarro Pharmacy. For fun gadgets and electronics, check out Brookstone, Sound Balance, and InMotion Entertainment. And if you want to bring back souvenirs of your stay in Miami, Little Havana To Go and Miami Gifts To Go are ready to assist you in finding the perfect memento.
Dining at Miami Airport
When it comes to dining options at Miami International Airport, you’re in for a treat, whether you’re in the mood for a quick bite or a sit-down meal. Here’s a breakdown of the culinary delights across MIA’s terminals:
The majority of Miami Airport’s restaurants can be found in the North Terminal. Here are some delectable choices:
- Ku-Va: Savor a mojito alongside delectable ropa vieja and other Cuban specialties.
- Islander Bar & Grill: Enjoy the game with a jerk sandwich in hand.
- Chefs of the Caribbean: Satisfy your cravings with Caribbean delights, from oxtail and mashed plantains to Jamaican beef patties and conch fritters.
- Icebox Café: This outpost from the popular Miami restaurant serves up health-conscious options, including buffalo cauliflower wings and kale fritters. Don’t miss the strawberry chiffon shortcake.
- Shula’s Bar & Grill: Named after Don Shula, Miami Dolphins legend, this place is renowned for its legendary burgers.
- Spring Chicken: Indulge in hearty Southern comfort food from this spinoff of the popular South Beach restaurant Yardbird.
- La Carreta Restaurant: Find all your favorite Cuban dishes on the menu, including café con leche, roasted beef tongue, Pollo al Ajillo, and more.
- Sushi Maki: A homegrown Miami sushi chain offering sushi tacos and Kobe beef sliders.
- Fig and Fennel: A Mediterranean spinoff of Icebox Café featuring healthy smoothies, wraps, and an organic juice bar.
If you’re in the Central Terminal, enjoy a drink or European dishes at these spots:
- Budweiser Brew House: Beyond a variety of Bud on tap, they mix up breakfast Bloody Marys. (There is another one in the South Terminal.)
- Café Versailles: Craving Cuban coffee? Look no further. (You’ll find more Café Versailles outposts in the other terminals.)
- Viena: Delight in fine Brazilian and European entrées or opt for lighter choices like salads or flatbreads.
- Half Moon Empanadas: These Latin American hand pies are filled with breakfast favorites or spicy chicken cordon bleu, making them perfect for a quick, on-the-go option. (There is also a Half Moon in the North Terminal.)
In the South Terminal, quick-service options abound to ensure you dine well without worrying about missing your flight:
- La Pausa: A sit-down restaurant serving American classics, making you feel right at home.
- Gilbert’s Bakery: Start your day right with delicious Cuban pastries.
- Bongos: A mandatory mojito spot with croquetas and lechon to savor.
- Corona Bar and Grill: If Corona is your beer of choice, this is your spot, complete with steak and burgers.
Navigating Your Way to Miami International Airport
When it comes to getting to and from Miami International Airport, the most convenient and stress-free option is to secure the services of Mundi Limos, a trusted car service in Miami. Here is why Mundi Limos is your ideal choice:
- Airport Transfer Service: Mundi Limos makes easier your business or leisure travel, providing a reliable airport transfer service. You can count on a seamless, punctual, and comfortable ride to or from the airport.
- City to City Car Service: For travelers residing in different Florida locations but flying in or out of MIA, Mundi Limos offers the perfect solution. Say goodbye to the challenges of public transit and enjoy the convenience of chauffeured rides between cities.
- Avoid Parking and Navigation Stress: With Mundi Limos, there is no need to worry about parking, navigating unfamiliar routes, or dealing with airport crowds. Your journey is simplified, allowing you to relax and focus on your trip.
Book your airport transfer service with Mundi Limos today and ensure a smooth and perfect travel experience.
Miami International Airport is more than just a transit point; it’s an integral part of the Miami experience. With its rich history, world-class facilities, and array of services, MIA ensures a seamless and enjoyable journey for all travelers. Whether you’re on vacation, a business trip, or passing through, Miami International Airport welcomes you to the Magic City with open arms.
In conclusion, if you’re seeking a travel experience that seamlessly blends culture, convenience, and luxury, make Miami International Airport your gateway to the magic of Miami. Discover the charm of MIA with Mundi’s lavish transportation service, and let your journey begin in style.